The Glynn Academy girls soccer team beat Effingham County 2-1 Tuesday to remain undefeated. In the process, the Lady Terrors handed Effingham its first loss of the season.

Both teams struggled to get a shot on goal until Sally Brock hit a low liner that got past the Effingham goalkeeper about 12 minutes into the game.

Less than 10 minutes later, Haley Williams hammered a rising shot into the goal to give the Lady Terrors a 2-0 lead.

A defensive lapse with less than 10 minutes remaining in the period enabled Effingham to cut the lead to 2-1. The Glynn Academy girls missed two scoring opportunities, including one where the ball was clearly across the goal line with less than four minutes to go in the half, but that apparent goal was missed by the referee.

The Lady Terrors (9-0 overall, 4-0 Region 2-6A) controlled the ball most of the second half but failed to capitalize on several scoring opportunities that would have given them breathing room. Effingham’s offense came alive late in the game, pinning the Terrors deep in their own territory until the clock ran out to end the scoreless second half.

Effingham’s record dropped to 8-1-1 overall and 3-1 in region play.

Lady Terrors coach Tom Lemmon said he was pleased his team remains undefeated, but he was disappointed in some of the defensive lapses.

“It happened more than it should,” he said. “It’s something we’ll hit the first thing tomorrow. We’ve got a few things to work on.”

Fatigue could have something to do with the Lady Terrors’ play, Lemmon said. The girls have played three games in five days and will play again Friday when they host Bradwell.

The boys team also played Effingham Tuesday, shutting out the Rebels 4-0.

Ben Alexander got the Terrors on the scoreboard first less than five minutes into the game, booting in the first goal after it bounced off several teammates.

Ten minutes later, Nico Bulatao scored on a shot from about 30 yards out that hooked into the upper corner of the goal to give the Terrors a 2-0 lead.

Neither team scored again in the first half, though the Rebels offense began putting pressure on the Glynn team late.

Bulatao scored the third goal on a header less than eight minutes into the second half. Alexander added an insurance goal later in the game to pad the lead to 4-0. Clay Watkins had two assists and Truman Antah had an assist in the Terrors’ win.

After the game, coach Bobby Brockman said the key to the win was jumping out to an early lead and adding more points early in the second half.

“We jumped on them early,” he said. “We played a good, balanced game.”

The boys and girls play again Friday when they host Bradwell in another region game.

More from this section

It looked like the biggest question Saturday at Brunswick Country Club wasn’t going to be who would win the 68th annual Golden Isles Invitational, but would the rain hold out. Dark clouds and distant rolls of thunder surrounded the course as Tye Waller cruised on the back nine with a three-s…