Glynn Academy defeated Evans High School 42-7 Friday to advance to the second round of the Class 6A football playoffs.

Evans got on the scoreboard first on a drive that started on its own 6-yard line. Quarterback Lleyton Lackey was dropped for a 1-yard loss on the first play of the drive.

On the second play, Lackey tossed a pass to Derrick Canteen, who sprinted down the sideline 95 yards for a touchdown and an early 7-0 lead over the Terrors.

On the following possession, a Glynn Academy drive stalled at midfield forcing the team into punt formation. Instead of a punt, however, the ball was snapped directly to Alan Partin, who ran 36 yards for a first down to the Evans 18-yard line.

Three plays later, Quantavious Bostic scored on a 7-yard run to tie the game 7-7 after the extra point.

Evans failed to get a first down on the next possession forcing a punt. Three plays later, Bostic scored again, this time on a 51-yard run to give the Red Terrors a 14-7 lead.

Glynn’s defense forced another three-and-out on the next Evans possession. After the punt and a block in the back penalty, the Terrors started the drive on the Glynn 22-yard line. The team faced a third-and-15 when quarterback Sam Wagner completed a 25-yard pass to Bostic to move the ball across midfield.

On the next play, Wagner completed another 25-yard strike to TJ Lewis to move the ball to the Knights’ 19-yard line. Five running plays later, Lewis scored on a 1-yard run to increase the lead to 21-7 with about a half minute remaining in the half.

After Evans was forced to punt on the first drive of the second half, the Terrors’ rushing attack took over. Nolan Grant ran three consecutive plays gaining 34 yards to move the ball to the 26-yard line. Four plays later, Lewis scored again on a 1-yard run to increase the lead to 28-7.

The teams held each other scoreless for the remained of the quarter.

Midway though the final quarter, sophomore running back Caden Hutchinson increased the Terrors’ lead to 35-7 on a 4-yard touchdown run. Hutchinson added another touchdown late in the game to give the Terrors a 42-7 lead.

After the game, Glynn County schools athletic director Steve Waters presented the team the Region 2 championship trophy. Head football coach Rocky Hidalgo told his players the trophy was “old news.” He said it will go in his office until the season ends.

Hidalgo said he was pleased with the team’s balance running attack, with three different players score two touchdowns each. He said Hutchinson continues to make plays every time he gets in the game and will continue to see more playing time.

“It was a work-like performance,” he said.

Hutchinson carried the ball seven times for 46 yards and two scores. Bostic carried the ball eight times for 92 yards. Lewis only carried the ball three times for five yards and two scores.

The workhorse in the running game was Nolan Grant, who carried the ball 24 times, gaining 137 yards.

Hidalgo said the team’s focus needs to be on next week’s game, when the team hosts Valdosta, winner of Friday’s game against Lovejoy. He said the Valdosta game will be “big-time football.”

“We’ll need the same effort next week,” he said. “We get a huge game next Friday night against one of the best schools in the state.”

Hidalgo said fan support will be important next week against a Valdosta team that is expected to have lots of fans fill the visitor’s stands at Glynn County Stadium.

“These kids deserve the fans to come out and support them,” he said. “Glynn County football has never been better than it is right now.”

More from this section

No strangers to nail-biting games this season, the Golden Isles Grizzlies came out on the positive end of another close contest Saturday at the North Glynn Complex, defeating the Jacksonville Cardinals 22-14.