Police say a 44-year-old St. Simons Island woman acted in self defense when she shot and killed her live-in boyfriend on Oct. 23 at their Ocean Walk condominium.

Yolanda Goodman will not be charged with murder or manslaughter, Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering said Tuesday. Her boyfriend, 47-year-old Wesley Horton, died at the scene of the shooting, which took place around 3 a.m. on a Sunday morning at their condominium in Building E of Ocean Walk, 850 Mallery St. on St. Simons Island.

“We’re not going to charge her,” Doering said. “Based on the evidence we have gathered, it does support self defense.”

Police will present the final results of their investigation to the Glynn County District Attorney’s Office when it is complete. Police are still waiting on results from an autopsy report and other details from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Savannah.

“We are working to complete the investigation and we’re waiting on the toxicology results and other official crime lab reports,” Doering said. “When we have completed all the investigative work, we will present a file to the district attorney. But right now the evidence supports self defense.”

Goodman shot Horton with a handgun, according to the county police department’s preliminary report. However, police will not release further details about the shooting at this time, the report said.

Goodman was arrested on drug possession charges by police responding to the shooting. She spent three days in the Glynn County Detention Center on charges of possession of cocaine and possession of under 1 ounce of marijuana, jail records show. She was released Oct. 25 on a $10,000 bond.

Doering said the drug charges have no bearing on shooting.

“They had a dispute,” Doering said. “And the evidence supports a conclusion that she was in reasonable fear for her own personal safety. And as a result, she shot him.”

More from this section

Perhaps nobody is happier that the Brunswick shipping channel has reopened than the 600 longshoremen of ILA Local 1423 who had been idle for more than two weeks, first because of Hurricane Dorian and then from the capsizing of the Golden Ray.

U.S. Coast Guard officials determined Thursday morning that the Port of Brunswick could resume shipping on a “case by case” basis, five days after the freighter Golden Ray rolled over in the St. Simons Sound in the early morning hours on Sunday, said Kathy Knowlton, spokeswoman with Unified …