Glynn County police responding to a report of domestic violence late Saturday night ended up in a prolonged standoff with an armed man, who surrendered at 7 a.m. Sunday after tear gas was fired into his home at 647 Georgetown Road, Police Chief Matt Doering said.

Harold W. Huff Sr., 49, was taken to the Glynn County detention center, charged aggravated assault and battery under the state family violence act offenses as well as false imprisonment. Police confiscated six firearms from the home afterward, Doering said.

Neighbors reported that Huff and his wife, Cynthia Huff, had been yelling and arguing for the past 24 hours when police arrived at 10:04 p.m., Doering said. Harold Huff was uncooperative with Georgia State Patrol troopers who first arrived at the scene.

Glynn County police then determined he was holding his wife against her will. Police learned that Huff had armed himself and was threatening to shoot any officers who attempted to arrest him, Doering said.

Glynn County Police Sgt. Ricky Evans and Sgt. Resdin Talbert negotiated with Huff for more than six hours. He allowed Cynthia Huff to leave the house at 4:15 a.m., at which point police determined that she had been physically assaulted. Police obtained a warrant charging Huff with false imprisonment.

At 6 a.m. police launched tear gas into the home, but Huff did not respond. He surrendered to police an hour later.

Doering said Huff has a history of domestic violence.

More from this section

Perhaps nobody is happier that the Brunswick shipping channel has reopened than the 600 longshoremen of ILA Local 1423 who had been idle for more than two weeks, first because of Hurricane Dorian and then from the capsizing of the Golden Ray.

U.S. Coast Guard officials determined Thursday morning that the Port of Brunswick could resume shipping on a “case by case” basis, five days after the freighter Golden Ray rolled over in the St. Simons Sound in the early morning hours on Sunday, said Kathy Knowlton, spokeswoman with Unified …