get your pink on

College of Coastal Georgia student and human resources intern Charla Harris photographs CCGA Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Jason Umfress, a ‘BigWig’ for the Susan G. Komen of Coastal Georgia Foundation along with human resources employees Kim Francis, left, and Anjee Tucker, along with CCGA mascot Captain Jack during a ‘Get Your Pink On’ breast cancer awareness month event at the college Friday.

Jason Umfress is hard to miss in his massive, bright-pink wig.

But that’s kind of the point.

Umfress, a local “BigWig” ambassador for the Susan G. Komen of Coastal Georgia’s annual fundraising campaign for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, brought out the wig again on Friday for a “Get Your Pink On” event at the College of Coastal Georgia.

Umfress, vice president for student affairs and enrollment management at the college, said the event was targeted specifically toward the campus’s faculty, staff and students, to involve them in the fundraising effort.

“People have been really supportive of what we’re doing,” said Umfress, who began his fundraising effort at the start of October.

Susan G. Komen of Coastal Georgia Foundation raises money annually to fight breast cancer. One in eight women will get breast cancer in her lifetime, according to statistics from the foundation.

Susan G. Komen has an office in Savannah that serves Brunswick. The nonprofit’s fundraising goes toward community resources and national research aimed at preventing and curing breast cancer.

Nearly 75 percent of money raised by Komen remains in the community in which it’s raised. The other 25 percent of money goes toward national research.

So far, Umfress has raised about $2,000 of his $2,500 goal. Other local “BigWigs” this year include Sabrina Johnson-Nixon, a school psychologist for the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System, Creg Miller, senior vice president of Prime South bank, Susan O’Sullivan, a radiologist at Southeast Georgia Health System, and Rachel Fitpatrick, a realtor with Keller Williams Coastal Area Partners.

Umfress and the other BigWig ambassadors have been making their rounds in the community all month to raise money.

At the event Friday, pink decorations, drinks and cupcakes matched the pink clothing worn by many in attendance. Attendees took pictures with props against the “selfie wall” and mingled with the college’s mascot Captain Jack.

Umfress is also partnering with Reed Flanagan, owner of Atlantis Fitness & Pilates on St. Simons, to raise money for the campaign. Flanagan is donating a percentage of all sales this month to the BigWig fundraising effort.

The campaign will culminate on Nov. 1 at a BigWig Bash in Savannah. The event will be held on the Mississippi Queen Riverboat.

“Tickets are available for that, for folks that maybe want to come and support the campaign,” Umfress said. “All the BigWigs from Brunswick and Savannah will be together, and we’ll talk about all the good that was done.”

Donations can be made to the “BigWig” campaign online at

More from this section

Glynn County Police say an argument Sunday night in the parking lot of a convenience store on U.S. Highway 17 led to gunplay, which resulted in two men going to the hospital with gunshot wounds, two men arrested and a search for a third man allegedly involved in the shooting.

After taking several days to mull it over and plan a way forward, a group of environmental advocacy organizations from Georgia and the Carolinas filed suit Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Charleston, S.C., to block seismic air gun testing off the Southeastern coast ahead of possible oil an…

A federal judge Monday denied a motion by the Altamaha Riverkeeper and One Hundred Miles to bring a preliminary injunction to halt the construction of a second groin on the Sea Island spit.