Brunswick 3

Chopped logs lay along the side of streets throughout Brunswick, offering testimony of Hurricane Irma’s damage.

President Donald Trump declared Chatham, Camden and Glynn counties major disaster areas Saturday, meaning survivors may now register for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. 

It also means FEMA can cover 75 percent of the debris cleanup, leaving 25 percent to be covered by state or local authorities through the Public Assistance Grant. Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal said this week the state will pay for the 25 percent portion for the coastal counties. 

Individuals may apply for federal assistance at They will need their social security number, telephone number, current mailing address of the damaged property and private insurance information if available. 

Also on the website, individuals can look up their address to find out if it is in a disaster area and check on the status of their applications.

Individuals can also call 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., seven days a week.

Hurricane Irma impacted all 159 counties in Georgia and caused extensive damage along the coast with the strong, northeast quadrant of the storm that downed trees and power lines and caused record storm-surge flooding in Glynn County. 

More from this section

An unclothed man hunkered down and claimed to have a bomb early Friday morning inside a car alongside U.S. 17 near the Interstate-95 exit in southern Glynn County, holding multiple law enforcement agencies at bay for about seven hours.