Trenton McDaniel picked the wrong barbershop to rob on Aug. 6 when he stepped into the Unique Styles Barber Shop in Brunswick with a mask and hood on, putting a .45-caliber handgun to the head of shop owner Robert Green.

Seeking a quick end to the crime and safety for the folks inside the shop, Green handed over his cash to McDaniel, who then stepped outside and, once across the street, took a shot at the barbershop entrance. That’s when barber Jason Pettibone returned fire, and Green, Pettibone and fellow barber Octavius Hines took off down the street running after the suspect.

Police and community residents assisted, and officers took McDaniel into custody. Around eight months to the day, McDaniel pleaded guilty in Glynn County Superior Court to armed robbery, Count No. 2 of seven he faced.

He was previously charged with another armed robbery count, three counts of aggravated assault and two counts of possession of a firearm during commission of a felony. As a condition of the plea agreement, state prosecutors agreed to drop the other charges.

McDaniel, 18, received a sentence of 10 years in state prison accompanied by 20 years on probation, 10 of which are to run concurrent to his prison time.

Dequan Marquis Jackson

It was around 4:16 a.m. on Aug. 28 of last year when Brunswick police said Dequan Marquis Jackson, 19, entered Victor Stanley’s residence in the 400 block of 5th Avenue, pointed a gun at Stanley and robbed him of his mobile phone before fleeing the residence.

On April 6, Jackson pleaded to aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. Prosecutors dismissed his other two charges — first-degree home invasion and armed robbery.

Jackson received a sentence of 20 years in state prison, of which he would serve eight, and 20 years probation under the same specifications. He was also ordered to have no contact with the victim, and is banned from all pawnshops and metal scrap yards in the Brunswick Judicial District.

Antoine Bernard Ladson

The Brunswick man accused of killing his girlfriend Aug. 25, 2016, with a stolen .38-caliber handgun is on the path to a jury trial on the charges in October. On Nov. 17, a Glynn County grand jury indicted Antoine Bernard Ladson, 28, for malice murder, felony murder aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during commission of a felony, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana and two counts of theft by receiving stolen property.

Brunswick police arrived at the scene in the 2300 block of Gordon Street to a call of a suicide attempt, where they found Amy Dean, 21. Investigators also discovered Ladson covered in blood and overheard him tell his mother he made a “big mistake” and needed an attorney, courtroom testimony revealed in a preliminary hearing.

Dean died from her wounds at a Savannah hospital the next day.

Along with the stolen .38-caliber gun, police also found a .380-caliber weapon which was earlier reported stolen from the Thunderbolt Police Department.

Superior Court Judge Roger Lane issued an order April 10 laying out the timeline — discovery held by the state is due to the defense by Sept. 15, discovery held by the defense is due to prosecutors by Sept. 22, a motions hearing is scheduled for Oct. 6 and jury selection is to begin the morning of Oct. 16.

Harold Wayne Huff Sr.

A couple months before his 60th birthday, in September 2016, Harold Wayne Huff Sr. allegedly initiated a armed standoff with police at the home he formerly shared with his wife, after hitting her, choking her and not allowing her to leave the residence.

He also allegedly told an emergency dispatcher that if police tried to forcibly take him from the residence, he would, “blow their heads off.”

With a subpoena filed Friday, prosecutors indicated they are looking for practically anything and everything involving Huff’s Facebook account, which may shed light on the crimes of which he is accused.


Another round of pleas are expected this morning in Glynn County Superior Court, presided over by Judge Robert Guy.